RE: Europa-List: 914 Waste gate servo mounting position question

Subject: RE: Europa-List: 914 Waste gate servo mounting position question
From: Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 23:39:12
Mike .Andy Draper said originally the gills were there for heat escaping
on shut down. He did tests during flight and they were practically none
effective.
On shut  down they are below the hot air collecting in the cowl top and
are not as effective as opening the service access doors. However
probably provide some escape route if parked into wind.
On the Jabiru the whole downward cooling principle made it necessary to
have all alternative outlets above the engine blanked and so keeping the
cowl top internal pressure high. My 914 has the barrel hood fitted also
demanding downward flowing air. I don't have Rotax cooling issues with
the small diverter flap in the lower cowl to boost prop wash into the
radiator when ground running. (The modified lower cowl radiator entrance
however could have been about 4" lower.
Regards
Bob H G-PTAG