RE: Europa-List: 914 Waste gate servo mounting position question

Subject: RE: Europa-List: 914 Waste gate servo mounting position question
From: Mike Parkin <mikenjulie.parkin@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 07:08:03
Bob and Terry,

I must say that I find the subject of Europa cooling most baffling (pardon
the pun).  G-JULZ  is constructed absolutely 'bog standard' apart from the
addition of the Singleton firewall.  My 914 engine pre-dates the later
ducting and stuff that is fitted around the cylinders.  You may recall that
I had the cooling issues in Switzerland some years back which prompted me to
lower the oil cooler from behind the radiator.  Since then my problem has
been getting the engine up to temperature to take-off - particularly in
winter.  It is true that the Evans coolant had an adverse effect such that
in a sustained climb during the summer the engine temperature climbed
quickly such that I had to level off early to control the temperatures.  I
think that the heat transfer properties of the Evans being less than that of
water/glycol was enough to push the cooling system beyond its capability on
a hot day.   I am just completing the modification paperwork for my cowl
flap which may or may not have any effect - certainly these days - trying to
keep the engine temperatures up particularly in the cruise is the main
problem.  CHT and Oil temperatures circa 60-70 degs C are not unusual once
established in the cruise.  It is curious that some people have major
cooling issues and other people don't.  Perhaps I am missing something.  I
have just fitted a water temperature gauge which might help identify any
problems.  In light of Terry's experience, I will be watching the whole
thing much more carefully.

Regards,

Mike