Europa-List: Woodcomp Propellers

Subject: Europa-List: Woodcomp Propellers
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:41:30

I am slightly reluctant to restart this thread, but Woodcomp have just sent
me a list of comments and corrections to some of the statements produced in
the last two weeks:
1) All Woodcomp VP props have mechanical stops as well as electrical stops.
For normal props these mechanical stops are at the fine & course limits, but
for reversible props a fine limit mechanical stop is not possible. Instead
there is a mechanical stop at the end of the reverse range, and similar
arrangements apply to the feathering prop.
2) The electric motor of the SR3000 is supplied by Bosch and rated at 12
volts
3) The microswitches are manufactured by Matsuschita and are rated at 16
amps and the diodes are rated at 5 amps. The usual working current through
the motor is 4-5amps, but this current only flows through the diodes for
0.2-=0.3 secs
4) The microswitches at the fine pitch stop are connected in series and
activating either one cuts the current through the normal range circuit
operating through the outer and middle rings. They state that the only way
to overwhelm the fine stop system and to proceed to superfine pitch is to
apply a voltage to the reverse system, operating through the outer and inner
pick up rings, and they do not know of any mechanical or electrical failure
in their systems which could cause this.
           I have no financial interest in Woodcomp, but as the first person
to get a Woodcomp prop accepted by the PFA, have become someone they talk to
in the UK!
          Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ