Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp Propellers

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp Propellers
From: josok <josoke@ukolo.fi>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:16:08

Dear Frans

[quote:f042f8651c]You first state that the lack of an end-stop in the Woodcomp
propellor was the cause. Later on, you blame diodes and relays of inferior
quality.
[/quote:f042f8651c]

Sorry, no. The fine pitch endstop is formed by two microswitches, parelled by
one
diode. Never mentioned a relay.

[quote:f042f8651c]These are two different things. Anyway, as someone else
pointed
out already, the accident implies more or less that the propellor control
motor got somehow engaged. A missing end stop was nothing more than a
contributing
factor, not the real cause.[/quote:f042f8651c]

Of course the pitch motor got engaged, not by mistake, but because the pilot, me
reduced throttle. The not-working endstop was the first failing part. A burned
out motor the second part. What real cause do you want?

[quote:f042f8651c]Since you had the reverse pitch
option, there could not be a mechanical end stop anyway. [/quote:f042f8651c]

Irrelevant: Not any Woodcomp SR 3000 has a mechanical stop.
Read my lips: Normal, reverse, feathering: No mechanical endstops.

[quote:f042f8651c]But even without the end stop, the prop would have functioned
correctly, IF the prop pitch motor got not erroneously engaged during the
flight.
The big question therefor remains: what caused the prop motor to start cranking
the prop to superfine?[/quote:f042f8651c]

Iv've tried to explain that, let's try again, real slow now, for the technically
handicapped amongst us.

Say you fly at 100 knots, and the controller has adjusted the rpm, as you have
demanded, to 5000 rpm.
Now, if you reduce throttle slightly the controller reduces the pitch to
maintain
the 5000 rpm that you asked for. Right?
It will keep reducing the pitch at any further reducing of throttle, to keep up
the RPM. The controller has no idea how fine it turns the blades.
Only the endswitch will prevent the blades from turning into superfine or even
further.
Nothing strange about that, and nothing to worry about,
IF THE ENDSTOPS ARE WORKING!

[quote:f042f8651c]Some of us are intrigued by a message from you, written the
19th