RE: Europa-List: Woodcomp Propellers

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Woodcomp Propellers
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:15:10

Hi Josok=2C

I am not so sure about what you are saying. When I had early problems=2C I
applied a 9V voltage to it directly=2C and the blades stopped at minimum an
d maximum pitch automatically. I would have been very concerned=2C if they
hadn't.

When you say superfine pitch=2C what does that mean ? I assume that the bla
des have gone past minimum pitch=2C on their way to reverse=2C because of o
verrun=2C and the lack of mechanical stops.

I have the feathering option=2C which is handled quite differently=2C and o
n a separate circuit.

Regards=2C  Karl

> Subject: Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp Propellers
> From: josok-e@ukolo.fi
> Date: Wed=2C 18 Mar 2009 22:36:53 +0200
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
>

> Just for the record: 1: The blades did not go in reverse but in superfine
 pitch. 2: This is the first time that a mechanical stop is ever mentioned.
 Woodcomp certainly never even pointed at the possibility. IMHO=2C if you p
ower the motor directly=2C you can spin the blades all around on ANY Woodco
mp. Until the motor burns out=2C which will be very quickly. As far as i kn
ow only MT manufactures electrical variable speed propellers with mechanica
l endstops. 3: The problems i encountered were because of non suitable micr
oswitches=2C diode and motor. The same hardware can be found in any Woodcom
p in flight adjustables=2C wether those are straight=2C reverseble or sail.

> It's everybodies (and in the UK the LAA's) choice of how much risk you wa
nt to take. I can imagine it's difficult to scrap something you layed out y
our money for. I realize it's bad news for many happy pilots. I also would
not forgive myself if i would not take this stand. Now everybody may contin
ue to throw stones at the bad news prophet :-)