RE: Europa-List: Woodcomp Propellers

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Woodcomp Propellers
From: Christoph Both <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:35:09
Carl,
How old are you blades and hub? I understand the newer versions have a
mechanical stop built in so the hub cannot move the blades beyond the
"fine" setting. This all makes perfect sense to me - thrust reverse
option would scare the living hell out of me. Do I really need thrust
reverse is such a simple aircraft as the Europa?

I bought a 2 blade SR3000-2 with scimitar blades I hope to put into
service this year. I bought it disassembled and the factory provided me
with a detailed assembly manual as we in Canada live far away from
Europe and the very high associated shipment fees. I opted for the
variable pitch only because I do have an additional set of glider wings
and feathering seems to make sense. Also, the performance
characteristics of both type of aircraft require a different power/prop
pitch curve for each set of wings, that is, a fixed prop might want
adjustment every time I switch the wings - not ideal.

I have chosen 2 blade because of less resistance in gliding mode, but
also because I could save about 8 pounds weight right at the front tip
of the aircraft, not making it too nose heavy. Prop and hub come in at
8kg compared to 12 kg - a significant difference. Not much more than the
Warp fixed 3 blade! The scimitar blades look beautiful and are very well
made. I like their progressive twist towards centre compared to the Warp
as the Classic requires cooling close to the hub which will also be
positively provided by much broader blade chord in this area. I think it
is a nice combination - the top cowling also comes easily off which with
3 blades seems to be more difficult.

Why don't you ask the factory for a modification - or upgrade? I have
had good experiences with them (not with the Canadian Retailer in B.C.,
though - but this is another story!).

I am attaching the detailed manual.

Best,
Christoph Both
#223 TRI 912S Classic+Glider (Pre-paint stage)
Nova Scotia, Canada