RE: Europa-List: Woodcomp Propellers

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Woodcomp Propellers
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 00:07:59

Ron=2C

If that is so=2C would you agree that a feathering option just for such an
emergency would be a good idea ? I understand that the gliding distance is
greatly increased.

Karl

Date: Wed=2C 25 Mar 2009 19:29:04 -0400
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us

All this talk about propellors reversing.

I fly a fairly high performance model flying wing glider I slope with. When
 it is soarable it is very hard to land because when you dive you gain trem
endous speed.

I fitted a small electric motor with a folding prop and a car speed control
ler that is reversable.

On a flying wing almost anything you do to drag things up changes pitch=2C
that is except putting motor into reverse. Boy does that drag things up.

A nagging question I have had with flying with a reversable prop was would
it not be prudent to go up to altitude and fool with putting it into revers
e and also very fine flat pitch to recognize reaction of aeroplane=2C and i
f it were to occur uncommanded=2C turn off motor which would turn you into
a reasonable glider instead of a lead sled?

My DAR was test flying a RV=2C and throttle stuck at 1600 RPM on crosswind
=2C he ate up half the runway when it became apparent had he shut off motor
 right away=2C landing would have been uneventful instead of crash.

Just another story=2C I was talking with a high time instructor who was giv
ing a student last flight before IFR checkride. Motor at a few hundred feet
 with plenty of runway ahead=2C but plane stalled and spun in? Ended up cra
nk broke right behind main bearing and prop began to freewheel. He said he
was pointing down much steepier than normal but plane stalled because of ho
rendous drag created by big disc up front.

For those who have not first hand experiance=2C next time you get hold of a
 pinwheel=2C hold it out car window at 30mph with pinwheel held captive. No
t too much drag. Let it spin up--- WOW an amazing amount of drag. Prop goin
g into reverse is not much worst than freewheeling prop BTW

Ron Parigoris