Re: Europa-List: Re: Fuel sender etc.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Fuel sender etc.
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:17:15

zwakie wrote:

> (B) Another option would be to install a reed-type float sender (I
> don't want other types), but I am pretty sure I won't be the only one
> not being eager to cut up the headrest et all.

You don't have to cut the headrest for this. In fact, the best place is
between the headrests. I have the materials available if you want to do
this: fold back the upholstery, use a hole-drill to drill a hole next to
the headrest, drill a smaller hole in the tank, via the opening install
a few anchor nuts in the tank (ty them with a small wire to your wrist
so they can't fall accidently into the tank during the installation),
install the fuel sensor, and make a hatch that covers the opening. This
can be done with anchor-nuts and nearly flush AN525 screws as well.
Depending on the fuel sensor, it is possible to cover the opening
without a "bulge". Put your upholstery back, and you won't notice that
anything ever happened there. I can show you how it can be done and
offer some assistance as well.

I think this is a good solution, because it doesn't require any
additional hoses to be installed (saves later maintenance and reduces
leakage risks), and you have an opening in the tank for
inspection/cleaning purposes. (I think that if I bought a used Europa, I
would very much like to inspect the inside of the tank, to be sure that
no sludge/particles has been built up during the previous years. You
don't know what is lurking inside, waiting for a particular brand of
Mogas with ethanol to dissolve and finds its way to the soon to be
blocked fuel filter)

The bad news of course is that you have to drain the tank first, but you
have to do that already for the rest of your fuel plumbing work anyway.

--
Vriendelijke groet,
Frans Veldman