RE: Europa-List: Mixture control

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mixture control
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:47:51
Hi Remi,

As I recall, we installed the Green Sky HACman mixture control system,
see their URL at;
http://www.greenskyadventures.com/bing/HACmandetails.htm

Since we already had manifold pressure (vacuum) behind our panel (for
the MP pressure transducer) it was only one additional line back to the
carb bowl vents to implement.
My partner in the plane, Dave DeFord, is the one who did most of the
installation and testing, so he knows it better than I do.  We use the
mixture control on longer trips at altitude.  You would want to use the
EGT on a front cylinder to set lean-of-peak mixture (since the front
cylinders run leaner the the rear), although just leaning until the
engine gets rough and then richening up a little also works just fine
(like I used to do with the Cessna 152).  It does work better with the
throttle closed just a little, but may work some even at full throttle,
I don't quite remember that part.  The engine can be expected to run
rough if you close the throttle and/or descend, but I don't ever
remember it actually dying.  Any aircraft will run rough if you descend
without readjusting the leaned mixture, so this is really not all that
different, and you are unlikely to close the throttle for any other
reason than descending, are you?

I am not sure the leaning mechanism has enough 'authority' to actually
kill the engine, I will check with Dave later tonight to see if he
recalls testing for that.

regards,
Terry Seaver