Europa-List: Mixture control

Subject: Europa-List: Mixture control
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:57:38
Hi Terry,

That interesting information. I am not surprised to learn that the
engine is running lean of peak at sea level, even at full power, as this
is consistent with the specific fuel consumptions advertised by Rotax.
I am interested in knowing more about your mixture control system.
My concern is about the reliability of this system as you are adding
piping from the engine to the cockpit and a sort of tap to control the
leak I suppose. What happens if one of the pipe connections leaks or
breaks? What are the effect of advancing or retarding the throttle if
you forget to enrichen first? Does that kill the engine?
Regards
Remi

built an 'experimental aircraft'.  As such, among other things not
included in our standard kit, we have installed a mixture control on our
912S which bleeds manifold pressure back into the carb bowl vents.
Testing has shown that the standard rotax carb settings are actually
lean-of-peak at sea level on the front two cylinders and that it (of
course) gets richer with altitude, passing thru peak and on down the
richer side of peak EGT with increasing altitude.  It is our assumption
that it is acceptable for them to run the engines this way (lean of peak
at take off) because the heads are liquid cooled.
   We believe it is then a fair assumption that we can run the engine
lean-of-peak at altitude and <75% power, given that the factory settings
run the engine lean-of-peak at full power/sea level.  Of course we
monitor our exhaust, head, water, and oil temps just to make sure
everything is happy while leaning at altitude
regards,
Terry Seaver<<<<<<<<<<<