Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa - Extra Gas/ Instrument Rating.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa - Extra Gas/ Instrument Rating.
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:44:52

Willie, Glider pilots who may need to fly for 7 hrs or more get used to
peeing in flight, and I am not aware of one who has had any great difficulty
doing so in a Europa. William Mills had a glider style Pee tube fitted
(essentially a sort of funnel draining into a tube which voided into the
atmosphere somewhere down behind the wheel), and I find a bottle (actually a
washed out 1 litre oil container, which fits into one of the spaces below
the seat) serves entirely well. If needs must, you do get to know your
passenger quite well, but if embarrassed they can always be asked to study
the horizon at 3 o'clock!
         One practical point to mention: Once when crossing the
E.German/Czech border with trees to the horizon in all directions, having
had a pee, I found that all my instruments were 'out', with no indication of
any electricity flowing any where, including to the 2 electric fuel pumps to
my 914. At the time I thought that the plane was running on the fuel in the
carb bowls. This did tend to induce the sort of intense concentration that
is a few millimetres from panic!
        Fortunately a standard wizz round the panel to check switches & CBs
showed that both Main & Alternator toggle switches had been switched off  by
my trouser bottom, when I had lifted up my left leg to replace the pee
bottle under the seat!  I have since discovered that the standard Europa
wiring allows one pump to be supplied direct from the alternator even when
both switches are off.
Regards, David