Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912UL perfermance and fuel figures

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912UL perfermance and fuel figures
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:26:57

Marcel, I have toured around Europe quite a bit with G-BWON, (+ 2 pax, +
full fuel, +luggage), and we have managed 3 hr legs at 110 kts with a good
reserve.  I wouldn't personally be too troubled about taking off with full
fuel even if that put your take off weight a touch over theoretical maximum,
as long as C of G is within limits. Plenty of Europas have shown that  they
still fly pretty well like that. Personally (but with a 914), I manage about
13 litres/hr at such speeds but trigears do use a bit more. I am sure that
Bob Hitchcock could give you accurate fuel burn figures for sensible cruise
speeds.
         Incidentally I can confirm that Midden Zeeland is a nice airfield
to stop at & refuel, if you need to, but my feeling is that you would
certainly not need to. The route via Deal, Dunkerque, Zeebrugge, Breskens,
Zaltbommel to Hoogeveen is about 250 Nm and you should be able to do that
with a 30 kt headwind or worse!
Regards, David Joyce (the other one, not the one you bought your plane from
!), G-XSDJ