Re: Europa-List: Tight control stick

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tight control stick
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 20:25:35

Hi Mike

"I was wondering which abrasive compound you were referring to when you
> describe it as one that cuts, then polishes, and disappears? I could not find

> anything of this nature at McMaster Carr. It sounds too good to be true and
> think would be a God send in certain areas. So could you be more  specific?"

Here ya go:
Timesaving Lapping and Polishing Powders

   These hardworking powders function first as an abrasive and then as a
polish. Plus, they're guaranteed not to embed in any metal surface.
Perfect for fitting and smoothing the bearing or contact surfaces of
rotating, oscillating, and sliding parts.
   To use, mix with a thin machine oil (SAE 10 or 20) or heavy gear oil
(see page 2120). Powders do not contain harsh abrasives.
   Soft-metal grade is for use on brass, bronze, aluminum, copper, tin,
and other soft metals. Hard-metal grade is for use on steel, cast iron,
stainless steel, and other hard metals.
      Please specify grit: coarse (80 for soft metal and 40 for hard
metal), medium (120 for soft metal and 80 for hard metal), fine (220 for
soft and hard metal), or extra fine (320 for soft and hard metal).
  1-lb. Cans  5-lb. Cans
  Each  Each

Soft-Metal Grade 4781A4 $25.24
 4781A5 $111.43
Hard-Metal Grade 4781A6 25.24
 4781A7 111.43
8-Can Trial Kit One 3-oz. can of each soft-metal and hard-metal grit.
4781A61 Per Kit  $73.10

http://www.mcmaster.com/
Page 2635
I used the soft metal grade

Here is non-staining plumbers lard oil:
Cutting and Threading Oil

   Use at full strength in a variety of machining operations.
   Mobil Mobilmet 766 and Omega are good for pipe threading applications
and contain sulfur. Omicron, 404, and S122 reduce staining and are
chlorine free and sulfur free. S122 is water soluble.
   Heavy Duty These sulfur-based oils are designed for use with ferrous
metals; they can stain nonferrous metals. Use alone or blended with other
oils. Good for pipe-threading applications. Light Colored Allows you to
see your workpiece. Chlorine free. Dark Colored High-lubricity oil allows
increased speeds and is especially effective for machining tough ferrous
metals. Contains chlorine.
   Nonstaining Also known as plumber's lard oil, it provides excellent
lubricity for fine surface finishes and extended tool life. Plus, it makes
a great pipe-threading lubricant. Chlorine free and sulfur free.
    1 Gallon
   5 Gallon

      Each
  Pkg.    Partial Full

  Qty.    Pkg. Pkg.
 Each

Mobil Mobilmet
766 6  2507K11  $22.35 $20.32
 2507K12 $86.32

Omega 6  2507K3    22.70 20.64
 2507K4 76.02

Omicron 6  2507K5    21.95 19.95
 2507K6* 79.53

S122 6  2507K7    21.73 19.59
 2507K8 85.00

Heavy Duty
Light Colored 6  2307K26    16.30 14.66
 2307K28 60.28

Dark Colored 6  1011K11    16.48 14.83
 1011K12 60.91

Nonstaining
Light Colored 6  1308K4    15.64 14.07
 1308K2 58.34

* 404.

It's on page 2123

Mix up a bit with lap, works great. You could use other types of oil,
probably pneumatic air tool oil or sewing machine oil would be fine.

Having lard oil around is great. Use on drilling, tapping and sawing all
the time.

Good luck
Ron Parigoris