RE: Europa-List: Tight control stick

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Tight control stick
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 22:57:01

Hi Dan

We purchased A-265 with accelerated cockpit module. In 2004 it had loose
aileron movement. Then when it came time to bond in CPM, it began to get a
bit stiff. Ends up that it was assembled with some grease that expanded
the tufnel. Since CPM was out of plane, was able to beat out aft bushings
and used a flap wheel to enlarge. The front bushing was binding as well.
It was not only the shaft to bushing fit as far as up and down goes, but
front and back as well (thrust) was binding. We purchased some pig oil
(lard cutting fluid, handy stuff for hacksaw and drilling and other
cutting operations) and some abrasive compound from McMaster Carr
www.mcmaster.com

The compound is pretty amazing stuff, it begins as a cutting compound,
then turns to a polish, then it disappears. They say it is even safe to
use in an engine, it will not keep on cutting.

Problem with many lapping compounds is they will embed into something soft
and cut away forever.

Be prepared for a yellow slimy mess though!

Ron Parigoris