Re: Europa-List: Aileron setup

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Aileron setup
From: jimpuglise@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 22:04:54
Frans-

You talk about shortening the link rod.  I don't think that is what you mean.
You should have about 3/4 inch of adjustment on each end of the rod by screwing
or unscrewing the rod end from the AN490HT8P.  I just did mine a couple of
months
ago and the limiting factor for me was the skin, which had to be carefully
trimmed to permit the correct movement, but as far as the mechanism is
concerned,
you should be able to adjust it quite easily.  You also mention .7 too
much.  You really need to use a bubble inclinometer to set them up.  If you are
using the measurement to the wingtip, it can be off based on how far the aileron
end is from it.  I don't know what is available there, but I picked up a
very easy to use inclinometer at Home Depot here in the US and it made measuring
the amount of travel a snap.

Jim Puglise A-283 Punta Gorda, FL

From: "Frans Veldman" <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>

> The aileron setup procedure is driving me nuts. The right aileron has way too

> much down movement. If I shorten the link rod (as recommended by the manual),

> the down movement gets less, almost correct (now only 0.7 too much), but then

> the up movement exceeds the upper limit. The left aileron is working ok. That

> means: it does everything a bit less than the right aileron.
>
> 1) What could be causing this? I have set up everything according to the
> manual,

> as far as I know. I suspected that the distance between the aileron hinge and

> the bolt for the link rod would be incorrect, but after measuring it, it is
> correct for both ailerons. I'm puzzeled by this. Is it possible that one of
> the

> factory holes for one of the bell cranks is incorrectly positioned, so that
> the

> lever action for both ailerons isn't equal?
>
> 2) How do I solve it? Is this something that I can tune away with one of the

> various link/push/connecting rods?
>
> 3) Am I the only one with this problem? I can't find anything in the archives

> about this...
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas...
>
> Frans
>

> Visit - www.EuropaOwners.org

<DIV>Frans-</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>You talk about shortening the link rod.&nbsp; I don't think that is what
you
mean.&nbsp; You should have about 3/4 inch of adjustment on each end of the
rod by screwing or unscrewing the rod end from the AN490HT8P.&nbsp; I just did
mine a couple of months ago and the limiting&nbsp;factor for me was the skin,
which had to be carefully trimmed to permit the correct movement, but as far
as the mechanism is concerned, you should be able to&nbsp;adjust it&nbsp;quite
easily.&nbsp; You also mention .7 too much.&nbsp; You really need to use
a&nbsp;bubble
inclinometer to set&nbsp;them up.&nbsp; If you are using the measurement
to the wingtip, it can be off based on how far the aileron end is from it.&nbsp;
I don't know what is available there, but I picked up a very easy to
use inclinometer at Home Depot here in the US&nbsp;and it made measuring the
amount
of travel a snap.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jim Puglise A-283 Punta Gorda, FL&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px
solid">-------------- Original message -------------- <BR>From: "Frans Veldman"
&lt;frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl&gt; <BR><BR>&gt; --&gt; Europa-List message posted
by: "Frans Veldman" <FRANS@PAARDNATUURLIJK.NL><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The aileron
setup procedure is driving me nuts. The right aileron has way too <BR>&gt;
much down movement. If I shorten the link rod (as recommended by the manual),
<BR>&gt; the down movement gets less, almost correct (now only 0.7 too much),
but then <BR>&gt; the up movement exceeds the upper limit. The left aileron is
working ok. That <BR>&gt; means: it does everything a bit less than the right
aileron. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; 1) What could be causing this? I have set up
everything
according to the manual, <BR>&gt; as far as I know. I suspected that the
distance between the aileron hinge and <BR>&gt; the bolt for the link rod would
be incorrect, but after measuring it, it is <BR>&
 gt; co
  Brows