Re: Europa-List: Ducatti Rectifier/Regulator

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ducatti Rectifier/Regulator
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 13:38:39

Steve & other Europaphiles,

The external alternator (Nippon-Denso in my case, purchased through Flight
Crafters)
is an internally regulated device.  In my installation (as per instructions)
my electrics are powered from either the N-D alternator through its own
regulator
OR from the Rotax alternator through the Ducati regulator.  The Ducati
unit is not involved with the N-D alternator.  I use a double pole, triple throw
switch (on-off-on) for control.  Switch down > Rotax alternator; Switch middle
> Battery only; Switch up > N-D alternator.

This is a complicated setup and, from Bob N's postings, may not be necessary.
Bob has posted that it should be possible to connect both alternators in
parallel
to the bus.  The one with the higher output voltage driving until it can no
longer maintain voltage.  When the voltage sags, it will drop below the output
voltage of the second unit allowing it to come on line.  I decided to go ahead
and follow the instructions provided but will probably test the parallel set
up at some point in the future.

For now this is all theory in my case as my Rotax has yet to be started.  Maybe
on Sunday, should all deliveries appear on time and I can finish the
priming/purging
of the oil system.

Good building and great flying,
Bob Borger

On Wednesday, August 06, 2008, at 01:19PM, "steve v"
<s@vestuti.orangehome.co.uk>
wrote:

>OK, if the standard ducati regulator is just about coping with electriacal
>loads, then how is it going to manage with the external 40A alternator option?
anyone fitted that alternator?