RE: Europa-List: Ducatti Rectifier/Regulator

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Ducatti Rectifier/Regulator
From: Bryan Allsop <bryanallsop@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 04:56:24

Hi Steve=2C

My regulator is positioned on the firewall behind the plenum chamber=2C wit
hout a heat sink. Last time he did an annual inspection Graham Singleton lo
oked at it oddly=2C and asked if I had experienced problems with the regula
tor. Apparently overheating had been common problem. I told him that I had
not=2C and forgot about it.

Only last week I had a radio failure in flight. I noticed that the voltage
had dropped and returned to investigate. Sure enough=2C there was no voltag
e from the Ducati regulator to the battery. After an hour or two trying to
prove to myself that I did not need to buy a new regulator=2C I failed=2C a
nd had to spend =A375 + del. to purchase a new one.

Retrospectively=2C I can look back and recognise that the failure has been
taking place intermittently for more than a year. I can recall odd times wh
en the voltage had dropped=2C and I put it down to other things. More recen
tly it has taken a little time for the voltage to come up to the charging l
evel. It is a bit like old age=2C you begin to accept that visiting the bat
hroom in the middle of the night is normal.

My recent investigations illustrate that there is quite a history overheati
ng problems with Ducati regulators. Hopefully the later models have been im
proved. Certainly the back of my unit does not give a good heat sink area.
Despite this=2C the regulator has been installed and working for over eight
 years.

This all leads me to suggest that you would be well advised to position the
 regulator in a way which will minimise heating problems. A good heat sink
would be an advantage.

Hope this helps.

Bryan

> From: steven.pitt2@ntlworld.com> To: europa-list@matronics.com> Subject:
Europa-List: Ducatti Rectifier/Regulator> Date: Sun=2C 3 Aug 2008 19:33:01
world.com>> > Dear All=2C> I hope I am not repeating a thread but I would a
ppreciate input from the > forum on where builders have positioned their re
gulators. My reason for > asking is that I may have an intermittent fault i
n the electrical generation > system and having done some fault tracing wit
h Conrad Beale and Skydrive it > is pointing to the rectifier and the possi
bility that it has become 'cooked' > and thus developed the intermittent wo
rkings.> My fitment is on the flat above the pilot's footwell=2C but the op
inion > expressed so far is that there is not enough air circulation to kee
p it > cool=2C especially after landing. I still have the side gills to the
 top > cowling.> Thanks in anticipation.> Steve Pitt> G-SMDH Trigear XS. >
Get more from your digital life.  Find out how.
http://www.windowslive.com/default.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Home2_082008