Europa-List: Re: Safety matters including stall and AOA warning units

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Safety matters including stall and AOA warning units
From: Mark Burton <markb@ordern.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 02:44:55

Hi Graham,

>From what I read, good AOA information is the ultimate indicator of
how the wing is doing with respect to airspeed/loading, etc. and, therefore,
is the perfect source of information for not only stall warning but also
maximising aircraft performance.

The problem I have with existing AOA products is the user interface. I won't
explain
again my thoughts on that, I have expounded them enough already.

As for your suggestion that ASI is "postdictive", I understand what you are
saying
but when you add G to the equation, you have a (near)
instantaneous detection of gusts/hamfistedness, etc.  The SmartASS (Mk2)
is no slower to react than an AOA system.

So, I am not going to make a AOA instrument because:

a - I have no experience in that field.

b - there is already enough AOA systems on the market and I couldn't
hope to compete with those mature products (even though, I believe
they all could be improved in terms of their UI).

c - for approach stall/spin avoidance, the airspeed+G system provides
adequate protection and doesn't require any extra hardware (no ports
or vanes) apart from the SmartASS box itself.

Cheers,

Mark

Read this topic online here: