Europa-List: Fuel tank - bulges and leakage.

Subject: Europa-List: Fuel tank - bulges and leakage.
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 16:17:46

On Thursday, May 1, 2008, at 13:22 US/Pacific, Alan Burrows wrote:

> Having had to replace a tank and had the heartache of seeing fuel
> running
> out of the bottom of my aircraft TWICE (second time after attempting to
> repair the old tank).

Alan,

Could you elaborate on the products and techniques used in your
attempts to repair the old tank?

I apologize for asking you to open old wounds, but your accounts may
allow us to focus better on finding something that just might work.

No doubt folks will tend towards solutions which address the situation
in which they find themselves. For some, a metal tank will be the
obvious solution. For someone w/ a bulging but no signs of a leak,
another strategy may be persuasive. For myself, w/ an empty tank
installed which has yet to smell any fuel, I'm looking hard for a "fill
and drain" agent which I can slosh around the tank interior which will
provide an impervious coating to keep fuel out of the HDPE and hence
eliminate the tank expansion as fuel would be otherwise absorbed.

Because of the widespread use of HDPE tanks in the automobile industry,
and the relatively rapid evolution of  both HDPE and fuel formulations,
my hunch is that there are hundreds of thousands of HDPE tanks which
are vulnerable to current and future fuel blends. If that is so, there
will be huge need and market for precisely what I'm looking for.

Cheers...as they say, "better living (and flying) thru chemistry"

Fred

--
believed to be clean.