SV: Europa-List: Fuel tank - bulges and leakage.

Subject: SV: Europa-List: Fuel tank - bulges and leakage.
From: Arnold Kr. Hansen <arnok@online.no>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 08:58:58
Gary Leinberger,

Sorry that I have overlooked your questions amongst the great number of
comments following my message to the list.

My tank was delivered in 2000 and there has been fuel in it since August
2005.

Then some comments to your eventual aluminium tank.

I have maid some design calculations for a new TIG welded tank made of
aluminium which is 70 mm higher than the original.  With a stiffener
spacing of 135 mm and 250 mm, the minimum thickness required for an
internal pressure of 3.5 psi (FAR 23) using a 5052 quality came out at
1.74 mm. So I will use 2 mm. At the present stage the horizontal
stiffeners on the forward and aft walls are corrugations and the
vertical stiffeners are 3 longitudinal bulkheads. The weight is
calculated to 11.3 kilogram. I learned last night that Graham had used
magnesium in his tank weighing 7.8 kilogram. I think the density of
magnesium is around 1.7 compared to 2.7 for aluminium. I have some
experience applying aluminium in high speed crafts, but no experience
with magnesium. So I think I will pay the weight penalty and stick to
aluminium. The volume with a simplified geometry in the lower part is 83
litres. As soon as I obtain more information about the space available
in that area, I intend to increase the volume somewhat.

Regards
Arnold