Re: Europa-List: Fuel tank - bulges and leakage.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel tank - bulges and leakage.
From: Duncan & Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 08:30:31

I'm not aware that the Europa tank is made of HDPE; which is actually highly
resistant to a wide range of chemicals, hence its widespread use as basal
liners to landfills.
I don't suppose the HDPE automotive tanks are rotary moulded either.

The Kitfox rotary moulded tanks were made of cross-linked LDPE, and I'd
presumed the Europa tanks were the same. LDPE has a "benefit" of being more
elastic than HDPE.

FWIW, I have the old style non-fluorinated tank. So far it hasn't bulged,
split or leaked. However, fuel permeation is noticeable, as it was on the
Kitfox too.

Duncan Mcf.