RE: Europa-List: GPS antennae siting

Subject: RE: Europa-List: GPS antennae siting
From: Rob Housman <rob@hyperionef.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 15:40:28

With the GPS constellation's orbits inclined at 55 degrees from the equator
those of us in the northern hemisphere will find the satellites generally
toward the southern sky.  This is much more significant in northern Europe
(London 51 29' N, Paris 48 49' N, for example) where the satellites are
near (or below) the southern horizon most of the time.  I suspect that
eastbound and westbound flights will get better reception than northbound
and southbound flights if the antenna is within the panel since both the
crew and the engine will tend to shadow the antenna.

Can anyone confirm or refute this hypothesis from in-flight experience?

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Irvine, CA
Europa XS Tri-Gear