Re: Europa-List: GPS antennae siting

Subject: Re: Europa-List: GPS antennae siting
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 21:57:51

Willie, It sounds from your replies that top of instrument panel gives OK
results, but I wonder whether  the fuselage top between your doors may give
even better results, as I can imagine that pilot and passenger will blank
some satellites for a panel aerial in some situations. Everyone I have flown
with on the  trips I have done in Italy have lost GPS signal at some point,
but I never did. I had tended to put this down to superior performance of my
Garmin 295 as opposed to most people's Skymaps, but it may be because I have
my aerial above head level. The cable supplied by Garmin and by Blue
Mountain is plenty long enough to reach there, and otherwise gets coiled up
behind the panel where it could possibly be subject to electronic
interference. Regards, David