Re: Europa-List: fuel system

Subject: Re: Europa-List: fuel system
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 21:53:48

Hi Dan

Will reply below ****

No, but plan to install a pin that will go into the console that will do
same with no spring to wear out.

**** Safety lock is a good idea. Note on spring that in your and your
children lifetime, don't think it will fail! I used Stainless spring wire
---From McMaster Carr. If anyone needs some, send me a SASE to:
Ron Parigoris
44 Carriage Drive
Kings Park, NY 11754
with a note.

May I suggest you install spring along with your pin, easy install and
very positive.

Had no idea of this as it's not mentioned anywhere in the Andair
literature. I'll have a look and see if I can figure out what it is you're
suggesting.
**** There is 1 dimple per screw, center punch flat head into dimple and
it is a mechanical locker.

> Looking at your fuel system, you may as well get rid of Andair 375 as
> things are now, it is nothing more than a single point to catch all debris
> that can pass right through Europa filters!
> [b:fa823cf774]This didn't occur to me, but you're right. I'm going to place
> the
375 after the pumps as I've seen others do.
***** NO NO NO NO NO !!!!! You missed point. putting 375 downstream of
supplied filters is foolish no matter where you put it or them! It will
not catch water because not much water will pass the supplied filters, but
it will only serve to restrict flow, and possibly be a single point clog
when debris clogs it that passes supplied filter/s! Read what I initial
wrote, plumb as per Europas current schematic down loadable from Europas
website 914FWF, use your 375 on pump 1 intake, and use paralleled supplied
filters for second inlet. Or use two 375s. I can appreciate your 2 tank
outlet filters for ease of first flights, but think they will compromise
where I doubt when engine quits at low altitude you can switch tanks fast
enough to save the day.

> Did you clean the filters in your fuel pump after a few hours of running?
> [b:fa823cf774]Haven't run it yet but will clean before first flight.
**** See Gilles site, follow my procedure letting primary pump run for at
least 2 hours, then the second pump for at least 2 hours. Best have one of
those pleated disposable filters (or similar) to not return that black to
your fuel. After all that running (and cleaning out the messy sealant and
grease you assembled the gasculators with, that is when you clean pump
intake filters.

I don't have full knowledge of the Teflon lined hose you speak of, but I
> would be very careful using automotive Teflon lined hose in an aeroplane.
> [b:fa823cf774]This was suggested on EAA's site. It's R9 Gates hose.
If I were to use it, I would want the blessing of the hose Mfg. that it is
OK for use on an aircraft, if not, I probably would not use it. You have
hose clamps, when fuel flows through hose it develops static electricity,
not are you going to trust your life, and your family's life, and lives of
kids screaming on the playground that static is not going to discharge and
burn pinholes through Teflon lining and cause problems? If yes, after you
do your due diligence, then by all means use it. I have been told by IAs
and others to use Aeroquip Race Hose and have seen it being used. That
does not mean it is a good idea. Please let us know what you find.

Ron Parigoris