RE: Europa-List: fuel system

Subject: RE: Europa-List: fuel system
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 18:22:56

Hi Bob

One more point:

"Clean system flows were well in spec. before flight testing."

Are you really sure you checked fuel system and it was within specs? Did
you simulate ambient atmospheric pressure to high altitude? You can follow
Rotax check of cheating fuel pressure regulator to think it is at high
altitude which is probably OK, but again as I have said many times,
gallons per hour flow on a 914 is moot. You need to measure that fuel
pressure is over airbox pressure by 2 to 5 PSI. For actual test you need
to simulate airbox pressure, so do that to 115HP level, and drop ambient
to that of 18K, Did you do this?

Did you at least follow Rotax check of increasing airbox pressure to 115%
level and see that differential pressure is 2 to 5? (knowing full well
that at higher altitude it may very well not perform)

Or did you measure fuel flow into a bucket that is about as useless in
determining fuel system performance as is toting that bucket on the tail
of plane?

Believe me I am not trying to be nasty, I am trying to be "Assertive" in
trying to help you and others to get in tune what 914 needs are.

If one does not have differential gauge (which you can just cheat input
for airbox pressure and same to fuel pressure regulator) which after cheat
you can just see that needle is between 2 and 5, or you can cheat
regulator and note reading, note ambient pressure and measure fuel
pressure to carbs, Rotax manual tells how to do calculation.

Many believe in making things as simple as possible. That may not be a
great philosophy. Albert Einstein had a much better one "Make things as
simple as possible, not simpler". As far as 914, don't forget the last
part.

If beyond scope of Builder/Pilot, search out someone who can help out. It
is OK to not understand something complete and still be an effective user,
instance most users of modern automobiles. That said to set up and
engineer such a machine, for best results best be intimate familiar.

Ron Parigoris