Re: Europa-List: StructuraL failure or?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: StructuraL failure or?
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 20:27:06

The aircraft had just been through its annual inspection at Bodmin (where
the aircraft had flown to). My understanding is that the post inspection
flight test may have taken place during the course of the return flight.

This would have included a dive to VNE (ie: 165 kts). If the recovery was
made badly the airframe could have become overstressed, resulting in
premature failure of one or both of the wings.

It is already public knowledge that one of the wing root pins was badly
installed resulting in the pin ripping out from the alloy mounting plates in
the wing root.

However this is only a theory and we may never know what caused this tragic
accident.

Carl Pattinson