Re: Europa-List: StructuraL failure or?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: StructuraL failure or?
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 22:10:38

Please be assured you would know if you attempted a takeoff with the T bar
disconnected - I have done it !!!!

On commencing the takeoff run the stick was VERY back heavy such that when I
started to ease the stick forwards I assumed the controls were jammed and
aborted the takeoff. Gravity makes the trim tabs hang down forcing the
trailing edge of the tailplanes upwards. As this is the normal position for
takeoff (stick hard back till airspeed is reached), the problem dosent
become obvious till the pilot tries to move the stick forward in order to
raise the tailplane. Believe me it isnt something you could miss.

If only one of the pins was engaged this would disengage fairly rapidly.
Even if this didnt occurr there would still be a substantial force acting on
the disengaged tailplane which would be hard to miss. It is unlikely that
this could be trimmed out using the trim servo.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS