RE: Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp propeller controls

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp propeller controls
From: nigel charles <nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 07:17:18

Hi Mark

>I have flown in aircraft fitted with the Airmaster prop and it works OK
but I still think the Warp Drive blades are terribly harsh and the
Airmaster controller is poor value for money and lacking in capability.<

I agree the warp drive blades are not ideal. In terms of the controller
what lack of capability are you talking about? I find the controller
perfect both in installation and use. I was put off by the Woodcomp
initially because of the gear drive in the hub. This has probably been
updated now. Its control boxes were too big to retrofit to my panel
whereas the Airmaster was small and neat and provides all the control I
want. I particularly like being able to select between T/O, Climb and
Cruise settings without taking my attention from the world outside.
Having started off with the NSI VP prop I was aware that VP without CS
causes a significant increase in workload.

I agree that the Airmaster is expensive but I believe they got most of
their development done before selling to the public. This was not the
case with the Woodcomp. Hopefully it is now at a stage where development
is just refining the product. Assuming this is the case then it is very
good value for money. When I bought my Airmaster I had been through a
lot of hassle with NSI and wanted a prop that did everything I wanted.
The Airmaster was the only one at the time that could provide that. As
in the choice of engines what is important is getting the right product.
Initial purchase price is only one part of the equation.

Nigel Charles