Re: Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp propeller controls

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp propeller controls
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 10:13:18

As you may know I have been researching VP/ CS propellers but it is always
difficult to come to a definitive conclusion without speaking to those who
have actually used the various propellers.

William Mills was kind enough to share his experience with me before his
tragic departure from this life.

"William, though I never had the pleasure of meeting you in person, your
departure leaves a hole in my life and reminds me of the bond that we who
take to the skies share. You are and will be sadly missed."

William had used both an Arplast and a Woodcomp propeller so was able to
give a useful comparison. This is what he said

Carl,
I had an Arplast PV50 as my first VP prop.  I am afraid to say the blades
are the only good aspect of the prop.  The hub mechanism is very poor which
resulted in different pitch angles between the blades at different settings,
which cause vibration.  The electronic control was very unreliable and
failed in fully coarse, the motor is 6 volts operated by 12 volts to get
enough power, so they fail often and the after sales service is very poor.
That is my experience.
I now have a Woodcomp SR 3000/3 controlled by a Smart Avionics Constant
Speed Controller, which I find is an excellent combination.  It is slightly
cheaper than the Arplast and half the price of the Airmaster.  It also comes
fully assembled complete with a spinner, fully balanced and ready to bolt
on.  May I suggest you take a good look at that before you make up your
mind.
Best wishes,
William

AND
I had a 912 with Warp Drive, then replaced it with an Arplast PV50, then
threw away their control and fitted a Smart Avionics CSC.  The PV50 improved
my take-off performance a great deal.  When I had done about 800 hours, I
fitted a 912s and a Woodcomp 2000/3 with a Smart Avionics CSC.  I have now
changed the 2000 for their latest SR 3000/3 with reverse thrust and I find
this an excellent combination.

Best wishes,
William

I was very interested in the Whirlwind propeller but unfortunately it seems
that (at least in the UK) that converting an existing engine to accept the
hydraulic governor isnt possible (as Skydrive wont supply the necessary
parts). It is possible to purchase a new engine with the governor shaft
fitted but this adds thousands of pounds to the cost (not including the cost
of the governor itself). Additionally the PFA would be unlikely to agree to
the increased propeller diameter (of the Whirlwind) at least for the
monowheel. The Trigear may be a different proposition.

My personal view at present is as follows:

The Airmaster is the best engineered solution (and the CS controller is a
brilliant bit of kit) however there is a question mark over the efficiency/
design of the Warp drive blades.

The Arplast has in the past been somewhat unreliable and in the early days
the VP electric motor was underpowered resulting in the need to reduce
engine power to change the propeller pitch. This issue may have been
resolved but Williams comments above are worrying. Can anyone comment on how
reliable/ suitable the Arplast propeller is in 2007?

The Woodcomp at present seems to be the best of the bunch coupled to the
Smart Avionics CS controller.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS