Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp propeller controls

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp propeller controls
From: Mark Burton <markb@ordern.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 01:40:58

Hello Nigel,

If you compare the price of an airmaster (prop+controller) to the total price of
one of my controllers + either an Arplast PV50 or the Woodcomp SR3000, the
Airmaster
is somewhat more expensive (in the UK). I have just checked the price
on the Europa website and the airmaster is 3754 (inc VAT). The SR3000 + a CSC-1
is 3145 (inc VAT) so the difference is about 600 quid - not much or a
significant
saving depending on your state of wealth.

The CSC-1/G can be used with almost any prop that is controlled by electricity
- that also includes the hydraulic props that use a master cylinder driven by
an electric motor - GT make a prop like that and so does some other company.
They
are used on aircraft like the Tecnam and the Pioneer.

Incidentally, I am sure that the CSC-1/G would drive the airmaster hub quite
happily
but I don't think anyone has actually done that.

As for functionality, In one small(ish) enclosure, the CSC-1 provides:

* constant speed control

* RPM display

* manifold pressure display

* engine hours display

* prop pitch display (PV50 only)

* feather control (SR3000 only)

The ergonomics of the unit are such that you can switch modes and adjust the RPM
without looking at the display - also external switches can be fitted for these
functions so you can fit a switch next to the throttle or on top of your stick.

One nice extra that the CSC-1 gives you is that it detects when you shut the
throttle
(in cruise mode) and it inhibits the pitch from being reduced so that when
you open the throttle again, the pitch hardly changes. So when you descend
into the circuit it doesn't wind the prop back to fully fine during the descent.
Not a major feature but a nice touch, nonetheless.

The Airmaster provides:

* constant speed controller

* feather control

I don't know if external switches can be fitted.

Anyway, for aeroplanes with little motors operating from short airstrips, a CS
prop is a real boon whatever the brand. If you have a large motor and miles of
runway, then one of the fancy fixed pitch props will provide better value.

As you say, at the time you fitted the airmaster it was probably the only
sensible
choice. Now, there is more choice.

Regards,

Mark