RE: Europa-List: What's up with the cost of 914?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: What's up with the cost of 914?
From: nigel charles <nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 08:30:20
It is worth bearing in mind that the Subaru is at least 50lb heavier
than the Rotax. This extra weight can be very significant. I know of one
Subaru powered Europa that is up to max T/O weight when it is full of
fuel with two adults aboard before any baggage has been loaded. This is
also one of the reasons the Wilksch diesel has not been successful with
the Europa (apart from its slow development).

Heavy engines also give C of G problems. To balance the heavier engine,
either the battery needs to be mounted right at the back of the fuselage
or lead added. This adds inertia which does tend to make control of the
aircraft a little more difficult (particularly relevant for monowheel
Europas on hard runways).

Nigel Charles