Re: Europa-List: Outrigger legs

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Outrigger legs
From: kbcarpenter@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 00:56:02
IMHO it is best to have the legs an inch or so short when on level ground and
loaded.
If you get on grass and the main wheel is in a low spot the legs will
drag, maybe a lot.  If you are in any dished out area the legs are hard on the
ground.  I have no problem with the plane tipping side to side a few inches when
ground handling.
Ken Carpenter  mono N 9XS
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>

> Andrew,
>
> I too was surprised at what you've determined...particularly if the rod
> is subject to the 90 degree bending which Graham describes.
>
> If (presumably momentary) bending is to the 90 degree extreme, I can't
> help but wonder if the forward portion of the speed kit fairing doesn't
> get ground away...(?...Does this in fact occur?)
>
> Since mono-flyers have advised to NOT make the final drilling of the
> rods until the plane is sitting on the gear w/ full weight in order to
> assure that the outrigger wheels can both touch the pavement at the
> same time for optimal ground handling, I will probably be ordering
> longer lengths of rod in order to effect full bearing within the wheel
> fork...although I have no idea whether mono-flyers routinely have done
> so.
>
> Any comments from currently flying mono-guys?
>
> Fred
>
> On Thursday, May 17, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Andrew Sarangan wrote:
>

> > Just curious why the full depth available in OR1 and the wheel fork are
> > not utilized by the nylon legs.

<DIV>IMHO it is best to have the legs an inch or so short when on level ground
and loaded.&nbsp; If you get on grass and the main wheel is in a low spot the
legs will drag, maybe a lot.&nbsp; If you are in any dished out area the legs
are hard on the ground.&nbsp; I have no problem with the plane tipping side to
side a few inches when ground handling.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>Ken Carpenter&nbsp; mono N 9XS</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px
solid">-------------- Original message -------------- <BR>From: Fred Klein
&lt;fklein@orcasonline.com&gt;
<BR><BR>&gt; --&gt; Europa-List message posted by:
Fred Klein <FKLEIN@ORCASONLINE.COM><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Andrew, <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
I too was surprised at what you've determined...particularly if the rod <BR>&gt;
is subject to the 90 degree bending which Graham describes. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
If (presumably momentary) bending is to the 90 degree extreme, I can't
<BR>&gt; help but wonder if the forward portion of the speed kit fairing doesn't
<BR>&gt; get ground away...(?...Does this in fact occur?) <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
Since mono-flyers have advised to NOT make the final drilling of the <BR>&gt;
rods until the plane is sitting on the gear w/ full weight in order to <BR>&gt;
assure that the outrigger wheels can both touch the pavement at the <BR>&gt;
same time for optimal ground handling, I will proba
 bly be
 : <BR>