Europa-List: Outrigger legs

Subject: Europa-List: Outrigger legs
From: Justin Kennedy <justin@systemwise.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 11:38:47
Hi All

I will be going to Wick, weather permitting, so hope to meet up with you
Northern Lights Tour boys then.

Outrigger Legs

My outrigger legs had to be drilled very close to the end to make them
long enough. If I could buy a set of new ones that were say 2 inches
longer. I would. They would then have a more satisfactory seating in the
top housing. I worry that they are only just in far enough though I have
had a heavy landing or three and they haven't given up.

The other great outrigger mystery is the toe in. In an attempt to work
out exactly how much toe in was required to stop the wheels being warn
unevenly I came up with a revelation. If you draw the tracking out on
paper or CAD it shows that you need some toe out. However in practice
you need toe in as the outriggers are being worn more on the inboard
side. I can't get to the bottom if this one at all.

I don't intend to bother with it anymore and set a 5 degree toe in which
I think will be the practical answer.

If I have missed something here please tell me.

Aileron sealing.

I was speaking to a Long EZ man who said the whole sealing aileron thing
had caused a big stir with them some time back.

Their ailerons are hinged at the top in the same way as ours are at the
bottom. One of the ways they seal them was to put cling film along the
outside if the hinge line gap and squeeze a small bead of silicon
sealant on the inside for the whole length. Remove excess with finger.
Then pull of the cling film off when it is set. Flexible sealed joint
results.

Sounds good but I couldn't find anyone who had actually done it this
way. Just thought I would mention it.

Cheers

Justin

G-ZTED Classic Monowheel 912S Airmaster.