Re: Europa-List: Radio reception problems

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Radio reception problems
From: Bryan Allsop <bryan@blackballclub.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:01:47

Fred,

I looks as though the real problem lies in the low 120's frequency range, in
the receive condition. The middle 130's range is a smaller problem in that
we get a poor indistinct reception. In the lower 120's we get no reception
at all at times.

It is interesting that a number of correspondents are confirming the same
phenomena. Undoubtedly there will be others who are watching but don't like
to say anything, and there will be more who's aircraft never get exposed to
the extremes where these characteristics display themselves.

Perhaps we could focus on the antenna. What design shortcoming would cause a
weak receive in this specific frequency range. It is not there at less than
120MHz, and it is not there at more than 124MHz. Indeed! Maybe there is some
wavelength relationship between the low 120's and the above 134's that
provides the clue.

The floor is yours! We all await your thoughts with awe. You may even
indulge yourself with the odd chicken or two, or even yet, - a door lintel,
if it lubricates your creative urges. Seriously though, this is a problem
that needs to be resolved. It is very disconcerting (and probably dangerous)
to be out of touch with the control authority when negotiating their
airspace.

Best regards.

Bryan