Re: Europa-List: Radio reception problems

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Radio reception problems
From: Peter Rees <peter.rees05@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:16:15

I've been following this with interest for a while as we have an Icom in HI
and have almost exactly the same problems - sometimes we can hear / be heard
---From a good distance away but on occasions, we can't hear Rochester until we
are within about 5 miles of them (122.25Mhz).

As far as I can see, the problem must be one of three things:
    1) the aerials gain isn't over the required range - this could easily be
fixed by a more conventional aviation aerial
    2) The squelch is either over enthusiastic or being triggered by noise
---From the engine, GPS etc (anyone found any links here - I believe it may be
noise from the engine electrics as the radio 'deafness' seems less
pronounced when the throttle is closed.
    3) The design or manufacture of the radio isn't 'as it says on the
box' - which I doubt from a name like Icom.

My theory is number 2 above - anyone got any ideas on this? (my limited
understanding of the Rotax history is that there are 2 types of ignition
unit in use - could it help if those with the same problem told us what
engine they have and what ignition units are installed - this problem seems
to be very widespread (we thought we were just unlucky and needed a new
aerial).

Peter