Re: Europa-List: Lubrication & Stall Strips

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Lubrication & Stall Strips
From: g-self <gself@btconnect.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:40:51

Hi Cliff and anyone else who's interested

I would be interested to know of your experience with the
stall testing. We are at that stage now. We have found the
following..

Without stall strips and 1900 revs (Jabiru 3300 cruise
descent power) aircraft stalled with flaps at 43kts and
without at 53kts. Buffet started about 3 kts higher than
those speeds. When the stall happend we were flipped to the
right with a viscious right wing drop.

Without power the stall was fairly aggresive with the same
right wing drop tendancy.

Having fitted stall strips as per the template but only 6"
long, the stall was far less aggresive, the speeds stayed
the same but the right wing dropped uncomfortably. The
buffet was really viscious but the spread was no more than
before

We moved the port wing strip up by 1.5mm and tried again.
This time the stall speeds increased by about 3kts flaps
down and 2 to 3 kts flaps up. The spread between the buffet
and the stall was reduced rather than incresed.

The next test will be to remove the right stall strip
completely and see if just the left strip is enough to do
the trick.

Cheers

Eddie

> <flyinggpa@comcast.net>
>
> All
>
> I just have to say something here !!
>
> I have a stall strip on one wing.  I need it !  If there
> is any one with  question about this, Email me offline and
> I will explain.
>
> Stall strips are BAD if installed too high, and they fix a
> problem if you  have one and they are put on correctly
> !!!!!

G-SELF, South East London Flying Group
Eddie Hatcher, Nick Crisp, Bill Lams
Europa Classic (XS) Jabiru3300 Powered