Re: Europa-List: Lubrication & Stall Strips

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Lubrication & Stall Strips
From: Mike Parkin <mikenjulie.parkin@btopenworld.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:25:00

> Also the Owners Manual states that stall strips are mandatory.  Is this an
> old reference to the Classic and not required on the XS?

Hi Jim,

Ivan Shaw flew my monowheel 2 weeks ago at our PFA rally.  He put the
aircraft through all the stability and stall checks.  While I was nervously
watching  all this, he explained that the original requirement for stall
strips was required by the PFA because of the lack of natural stall warning
(buffet).  I don't think that this situation changed with the introduction
of the pre-fabricated XS wing, but I could be wrong there.

However, as other owners have commented, I was not keen on stall strips
because of the effect on the stall speed and the short field performance.
Fortunately, in the UK, a Stall Warning System is acceptable in lieu of
stall strips.  I have the Europa Stall Warning System and it works a treat
in all configurations - clean, approach configuration and accellerated
stalls

For those interested in my testing experience.  My aircraft which has an XS
fuselage and original foam wings had a really nasty right wing drop during
the approach configuration stall.  I noticed that when 'wing borne' that I
had a slight right aileron droop which did not show when stationary on the
ground.  Over a few flights I adjusted out the discrepancy until the
ailerons on both wings were in line with the wing tip fairings.  At the end
of the adjustment, the alarming tendency to wing drop was totally tamed.
The aircraft can now be held in the stall both clean and dirty without wing
drop in a sort of falling leaf manoeuver.

regards,

Mike  (G-JULZ)