RE: Europa-List: Lubrication & Stall Strips

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Lubrication & Stall Strips
From: Alan Burrows <alan@kestrelinsurance.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:07:41

On this occasion I have to disagree totally with Bob on the subject of
stall strips. I had them fitted to my aircraft when I foolishly let a
PFA inspector and test pilot do my annual flight test. He reported that
the aircraft had a vicious wing drop in the stall (funny I never noticed
it in a whole year of flying!). Anyhow he fitted stall strips and
pronounced the aircraft now "safe".  From that moment on it was a
nightmare to land properly and the short field performance was
"interesting" On one occasion I spent TWO HOURS in the circuit trying to
devise a landing technique that worked every time and the only one I
came up with was flapless at slightly higher speed than normal, with
that technique I could probably get 3 out of five good landings,
obviously not ideal. So I removed the stall strips and hey presto all
was well again, every landing was a greaser and guess what the vicious
wing drop had mysteriously disappeared. Funny old thing that! The end of
the story was that I was having a drink with Ivan Shaw at a local
airport one day when in walked the "test pilot" who had fitted the stall
strips to my aircraft. He enquired as to how they were doing and I
politely told him what I thought of his fix. At which point Ivan joined
in the conversation and explained to this guy why stall strips are not
needed on the Europa. I'm not technically competent to pass on Ivan's
theories, but I believe what he said and proved it myself. For those who
are interested, the conversation got rather heated and Ivan ended up
calling the guy an idiot! Incidentally this "test pilot" has since done
some of the test program on the spitfire that was recently built by
Mathew Russell and guess what, yep he fitted stall strips. I believe he
had now been replaced on that project! My very strong advice is DON'T
FIT THEM unless its absolutely necessary, fit an electric stall Warner,
they work fine if you set them up properly and you will have a lot less
frustration believe me. Sorry Bob we will never agree on this one my
friend.

Alan