Re: Europa-List: FWF Options

Subject: Re: Europa-List: FWF Options
From: Fred R. Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:04:23

Paul,

Alex and Neil Varcoe, his engineer, have published the following:

PERFORMANCE DATA - Europa XS Mono w/ CAM 125 & AP3222

(Note: w/ 1 pilot and 3/4 fuel; OAT/AP unknown, however, I believe data was
taken during summer months in Pacific NW, perhaps 70-75 deg. F)

Climb @ sea level: 2000 ft/min @ 100 mph w/ fulll throttle

Climb @ 2000 ft. altitude: 1650 ft/min @ 100 mph - MAP 28", 5600 rpm

Cruise @ 3000 ft. altitude:

RPM         MAP         IAS (mph)   Fuel Flow (US gal/hr)

4.600       16"         125         3.0
4,600       18"         132         3.6
4,600       20"         145         4.3
4,600       22"         160         5.1
4,600       24"         174         5.8
4,600       26"         185         6.6

My personal thoughts on the above data:

First, bear in mind that the source of this data is not from a couple of
hotshots eager to hype a product and set the world on fire...a common
occurance in the home-built universe.

Second, after face to face conversations, telephone calls, and numerous
email communications w/ Alex and Neil, I've come to believe that their
mating of the CAM 125 to the Europa XS has been a thoughtful and rigorous
process pursued with integrity.

Third, I take note of Alex's previous career as a test pilot for the RCAF
and hence, believe the data represents best efforts at an accurate, though
perhaps limited, representation of performance of this configuration; more
flight test data will be forthcoming.

Fred
A194