Re: Europa-List: FWF Options

Subject: Re: Europa-List: FWF Options
From: Fred R. Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:50:58

Hey Mike,

I can give you some short answers, but would prefer to hear from Neil
Varcoe; when I get comments on these issues from him, I'll pass them on.

You ask,

> Am I correct in my reading on this option is 75 lbs heavier that the Rotax?

Alex and Neil say their CAM 125 weighs 231 lbs.; I don't know the weight of
the 912S or the 914.

> Doesn't this penalty negate any baggage carrying?

Alex's ship is approved for 1500 lb gross weight.

> I would be interested in what the final cost of an install like this would
> save people that are looking at the Rotax.

Though the CAM 125 still retails for US$11,250.00, Firewall Forward Aero
Engines, Alex Bowman, and Neil Varcoe have incurred significant development
costs which, if possible, they would like to recoup if a short "run" of
Europa installations are produced. Our present effort to get a group
together to move ahead is the result of some prodding by Tony Renshaw after
my postings some months ago. A price for a CAM 125 fwf package is not known
at this time. Alex and Neil have said before that they recognise that the
price would have to be comparable to the Rotax. My hunch is that the
comparatively low price of the CAM 125 engine will be offset by the
relatively high cost for the mods, special FG moldings and hardware.
Personally, I'm attracted more to the prospect of optimal performance and
trouble-free operation than I am to the possibility of significant cost
savings over the Rotax.

At this time I have a list of six builders who have expressed an interest in
this endeavor; I spoke w/ Bob Masters of FWF today, and he's heard from two
more, so I'm optomistic that if the economics work, we'll be going ahead.

BTW, what's your situation vis a vis powerplant?

Fred