Europa-List: Gear retraction problem

Subject: Europa-List: Gear retraction problem
From: JohnDHeykoop@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 05:09:53

I have got the main gear in now, but find that the  brake caliper is hitting
the tunnel wall when the wheel is nearly fully retracted. The answer is to
rotate the brake caliper 90 degrees, which is where it used to be before Europa

changed the design. However, this will require one of the old style brake
torque plates, and the factory has not got those any more. Andy Draper advises

against the alternative of drilling another hole in the existing torque plate -

apparantly stress analysis has shown that the torque plate could fail.

I understand from Andy that a number of people have changed over to the new
design, which has put the brake caliper in line with the swinging arm. Does
anyone still have an old style brake torque plate kicking around that they would

be willing to let me have?

The brake caliper is not my only gear retraction problem. The tyre is hitting
the main brake cylinder, so I'll have to move that out of the way. The
alternatives are upwards (another bulge on top of the tunnel) or outboard (where
it
will restrict seat width). I believe some other builders have had similar
problems. Any views on which is the best solution?

John Heykoop
XS Monowheel Kit 536 G-JHKP