Re: Europa-List: Gear retraction problem

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Gear retraction problem
From: JohnDHeykoop@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 06:08:53

hurstkr@growzone.com.au writes:

> I would firstly do the following check :-
>
> Assuming your fuselage is in a jig and level both ways especially across
> ways, mark a centre line on the floor by dropping a Plumb Bob down from the
> Cross Hatch marks at the front and rear of the bottom of the fuselage and
> marking these positions on the floor.  Using these marks as the reference
> and a chalk string line, mark the projected centreline on the floor.  Now
> lower your undercarriage to see if the centre of the tyre aligns with the
> marked centreline.

Kingsley
Many thanks for your advice. Following suggestions from others I had already
checked that the landing gear frame was symmetrically installed and that the
landing gear swinging arm was central in the tunnel. However, I have this
morning carried out the further check youi suggest and this has confirmed that
the
tyre aligns exactly with the centreline.

> If it does, then there is one other thing I can suggest assuming you have a
> Carlisle Tyre supplied by Europa.  Purchase a 700 X 6 X 4ply Condor aircraft
> tyre.  Remarkably, this tyre is actually 15mm BIGGER in diameter than the
> 800 X 6 Carlisle and more importantly, 20 mm narrower.  This tyre is also
> much firmer in the walls, stands up better and as well as giving better
> clearance on the brake master cylinder, gives much better clearance on the
> brake caliper.

I can see the attractions of a thinner tyre. It would certainly give much
better clearance on the brake master cylinder and the brake caliper. But I am a

bit worried about the 15mm bigger diameter. There is already very little
clearance between the tyre and the flap push rod, and with a bigger diameter
tyre

this could become a problem.

Regards
John