Re: Europa-List: Firewall Cutout before module bonding

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Firewall Cutout before module bonding
From: Rocketman <topglock@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:30:03

Tony Renshaw wrote:

>Gidday,
>I am considering cutting out the firewall so that I can see what is doing
>on when I drop my module in for the last time, onto the blue glue. When I
>push down on the module it at the firewall end, it sits lower, but my cross
>bracing pulls on the attachments on the head rest. Also, the whole seat pan
>moves up and down as I load and unload the front of the module, with weight
>bearing down. So, I reckon I have done about the best job of stabilising my
>module for my flight controls, and fear that this force to make the module
>sit down might in fact put a longitudinal axis banana into my module and
>this might be felt in the control circuit. So, I intend on leaving it
>alone, and I suppose the gaps between module and fuse can be addressed in
>several ways. I can use screws, to pull the fuse up to meet the module but
>I hesitate because it seems to me that you create a perforated line of
>weakness in the fuse skin at key locations. I don't really like the
>dimpling potential, so I reckon I am more inclined to either fill the 2-3
>mm gap in places with either redux or maybe a 2-3-4 ply bid layup in the
>lower areas before bonding. This would require a whole lot of accuracy to
>work out where 2,3, or 4 plies were required, so I reckon the answer is the
>redux. I think at worst I could add maybe 1/2 kg of redux. Big deal I say,
>because I'd prefer to lose it off my middle, which could spare 1/2 kg. The
>addition of redux would be offset by the addition of filler on the outside
>of the fuse if I pull it into place. So, less work but nominally more
>weight I hope. Oh, someone mentioned cutting off the footwell floor
>sections of the module and applying bid patches to replace them later. Is
>this still the recommended way to get it in, for a single handed, or maybe
>1 helper installation?? I  note when pushing down on the rudder floor
>vertical flange that the force distorts the side of the module, so I am
>going to stabilise the module at this lower end to preserve my gear mount
>attachment dims. If anyone has any suggestions at this stage, with module
>insertion impending, I'd really like to hear from you.

Tony,

Don't know that this will help much, but when we bonded the CM in A055,
we used an engine hoist.  Basically, my wife mixed the Redux, while I
spread it about 1/4" thick, on the appropriate areas of the module.
Once done, we centered the thing over the lower fuse and started it
downward, while pulling on the sides of the fuse, to let it clear.
There's a picture of the operation at my build site dated May 1, 2004.
Once in, I used rivets and concrete blocks to hold everything down.
Installation is very secure...

--
Jeff - A055
Builders Log: http://www.N55XS.com