Re: Europa-List: Firewall Cutout before module bonding

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Firewall Cutout before module bonding
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:56:38

Hi! Tony.
IMHO don't force the cockpit module to fit down precisely. Be sure the
"lower fuselage moulding" is adequately supported  and suitably braced for
the width dimension to fit the cockpit module. Then have a dummy run and
mark out where the cockpit module will sit in a relaxed state. Remove it
then overturn it and have one person apply a redux bead to all its surfaces
that will contact the inside of the fuselage. Another person also applies a
thick redux bead to the fuselage ready to receive the cockpit module making
sure that there are gaps where the tufnol control bearings will be located
(you will have a "bad hair day" if when it has all cured you can't move the
controls!)
then carefully turn over the module and lower it into place allowing the
excess redux beads to squidge out from between the two surfaces.
I wouldn't apply any undue pressure anywhere other than to ensure there is
contact of the redux between all necessary surfaces. This is best observed
by shining a strong light underneath the fuselage which clearly shows where
there isn't redux contact. Trowel off all excess redux and use the excess to
trowel it into any gaps.
This way you won't have any outside filler to apply and fill dimples which
the application of screws or pop rivets cause. It's obvious that a little
more redux will be used but at least it has structural strength where the
addition of filler adds only the weight and can flake off later .
You shouldn't get any cockpit module distortion which would be likely to
make the controls tight.
Also make sure that the aileron control arms clear the fuselage bottom for
their full travel range.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG