Europa-List: Firewall Cutout before module bonding

Subject: Europa-List: Firewall Cutout before module bonding
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:32:55

Gidday,
I am considering cutting out the firewall so that I can see what is doing
on when I drop my module in for the last time, onto the blue glue. When I
push down on the module it at the firewall end, it sits lower, but my cross
bracing pulls on the attachments on the head rest. Also, the whole seat pan
moves up and down as I load and unload the front of the module, with weight
bearing down. So, I reckon I have done about the best job of stabilising my
module for my flight controls, and fear that this force to make the module
sit down might in fact put a longitudinal axis banana into my module and
this might be felt in the control circuit. So, I intend on leaving it
alone, and I suppose the gaps between module and fuse can be addressed in
several ways. I can use screws, to pull the fuse up to meet the module but
I hesitate because it seems to me that you create a perforated line of
weakness in the fuse skin at key locations. I don't really like the
dimpling potential, so I reckon I am more inclined to either fill the 2-3
mm gap in places with either redux or maybe a 2-3-4 ply bid layup in the
lower areas before bonding. This would require a whole lot of accuracy to
work out where 2,3, or 4 plies were required, so I reckon the answer is the
redux. I think at worst I could add maybe 1/2 kg of redux. Big deal I say,
because I'd prefer to lose it off my middle, which could spare 1/2 kg. The
addition of redux would be offset by the addition of filler on the outside
of the fuse if I pull it into place. So, less work but nominally more
weight I hope. Oh, someone mentioned cutting off the footwell floor
sections of the module and applying bid patches to replace them later. Is
this still the recommended way to get it in, for a single handed, or maybe
1 helper installation?? I  note when pushing down on the rudder floor
vertical flange that the force distorts the side of the module, so I am
going to stabilise the module at this lower end to preserve my gear mount
attachment dims. If anyone has any suggestions at this stage, with module
insertion impending, I'd really like to hear from you.

Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia

Classic 236  B.B. Taildragger
Tail, Wings, Ailerons, Flaps Complete and Connected
Lower Fuse in Jig, Tail Torque Tube installed
Mass Balance assembly installed and deflections sorted
Roof Panel between doors completed.
Photos at:
http://forum.okhuijsen.org/modules.php?set_albumName=TonyR&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&PHPSESSID=902b69917a45f8b18ac84fe3f85a704b
Intended Engine: 912S CS prop (model undecided)
Instrumentation: Undecided