Re: Europa-List: Control locks

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Control locks
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:02:47

Hi John

>The plane was chocked on the mainwheel and the control stick secured but I
found that since the rudder was not locked, the gusts were strong enough to
swing the plane quite a lot as the tailwheel will swing when encouraged
through almost 90 degrees; so I pulled the plane to an adjacent tie down and
secured the tail so that I could finish my morning coffee. This was on
concrete and may be less apparent on grass since the wheel will dig in more.
I do not have the solution for the problem yet and it is on my list of  'to
do' items. Any suggestions from fellow Europaphiles would be appreciated.<

Thanks for the info. Your problem is more relevant in the USA as you have
more concrete/tarmac. In Europe, even at airfields with hard surfaces, there
is usually parking available on grass. If I leave my Europa unattended for
any period of time when there is any significant wind I always tie it down.
With monowheels I have found that just two tie down points (mainwheel and
tailwheel) is all that is required. With a tie down at the tailwheel the
tail cannot swing preventing any rudder deflection.

Regards

Nigel