Re: Europa-List: Keeping 914 Fuel Pump running

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Keeping 914 Fuel Pump running
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:17:35

Ronald J. Parigoris wrote:

 > In the case of a 2600mA NiMh, that is 2.6 amps. Anyway for a backup
 > battery for fuel pump, i think it sufficient if it could eeck out a
 > half hour for most of my flying.  If I make some long over hostile
 > terratory flights, could either bring another pack or 2. Weight for 3
 > packs is under 5 pounds.

Ron, my long experience with NiCad and now even NiMH is that they are
worthless for long-term reliability.  Anybody else?  There are small AGM
(RG) batteries for motorcycle applications should be a lot cheaper than
2 packs of NiMH.  There's no issue paralleling them with a larger RG,
and one battery mfr says in its literature that parallel batteries of
different types runs the risk of explosion if heavy current is extracted
---From the pair. In any event, the results are unpredictable and dependent
upon the condition of either.  NiMH is inferior to even NiCad for what
you are considering, and both are inferior to AGM "starting" battery
which will have less internal resistance in comparable capacity.  Just a
suggestion!

Fred F.