Re: Europa-List: Keeping 914 Fuel Pump running

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Keeping 914 Fuel Pump running
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:11:16

Ronald J. Parigoris wrote:

 > Thanks for the info. ((the pump is 3A for planning purposes).
 >
 > Do you know gross amp draw when you are starting?

The starter relay is max 75A, but whatever greater current pulses caused
by compression strokes I don't know.  The voltage across a lead acid
battery drops significantly under high current draw; on a NiMH it does
not.  In parallel it's going to appear to it as a partial dead short,
drawing very high current.  My Makita cordless drill has a circuit
breaker to prevent the abuse if you stall the motor.  Can you then rely
on this battery as emergency backup for the fuel pump?  It seems at
least there will be insufficient time in flight to recharge it.

Fred F.