Re: Europa-List: Keeping 914 Fuel Pump running

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Keeping 914 Fuel Pump running
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:21:07

Ronald J. Parigoris wrote:

> The new fangled Nickel Metal Hydride cells are pretty amazing. If
 > I made up a Zapped 12 cell pack of lets say 2600mAs, unloaded
 > voltage would be 14.4 volts.

For emergency backup such for the 914 pump, rechargeables have a
self-discharge problem making them undesirable as a standalone source.
Though one could constantly trickle charge them with the main system at
a rate which doesn't warm them up.  OTOH, shelf life of alkalines is
several years and they are dated, but you're right in that you'll get
better high-discharge rate performance from NiMH's.

The 2600 mAh spec is not comparable to that for storage batteries.  A
spec sheet may say 18,000 mAh for an alkaline D-cell, but that's at a
minuscule discharge rate down to .8V.  The graph in Energizer's "Pink
Bunny" spec sheet stops at 1 amp discharge rate (the pump is 3A for
planning purposes), and the curve of the line suggests we're looking at
minutes here!  It would certainly take a pack of 2 x 8 or 2 x 9 D-Cells,
and then only after test like Dave did.

I note that Dave didn't get 2 hours of 3A pumping on a 7 Ah battery,
terminating at 10+ volts per that usual spec, because it may be based on
a 20-hour discharge rate.

Best,
Fred F.