Re: Europa-List: Trailers

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trailers
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:14:13

In a message dated 2/20/2003 11:54:34 AM Eastern Standard Time, VE3LVO@rac.ca
writes:

> I have a standard Europa open trailer, but am contemplating an
> enclosed one eventually (4005). It occurred to me that with various mods
> being suggested, that the enclosed trailer might incorporate a "saddle"
> which rotates/swivels and captures each wingtip in turn. This facility
> might
> permit singlehanded 'winging' and 'de-winging', being integral rather than
> an extra device. Details foggy in future mists, but it's an
> idea..............
> ferg
> A064

We had a guy come through our field (sailplane guy) last spring with a very
neat wing stand that captured the wing by the LE and TE, pivoted the wing
---From the horizontal to the vertical, and had wheels on it so the wing could
be rolled over to the trailer. Instead of the "normal" tri-pod arrangement of
most sailplane wing stands, this one had two wheels and a leg that folded, in
addition to the "wing capture" device. This enabled the wing to be moved
around easily by one person. Basically, the stand captures the wing by the LE
and the TE in a padded clamping mechanism. The clamp was a simple threaded
rod with padded cups conforming the contour of the LE and TE welded to
brackets that slide up and down on the threaded rod. An oversized wing nut is
used to tighten the clamp holding the wing to the stand The folding leg is
then retracted and the wing is rotated into the vertical, LE down. This is
done with a single bolt as a pivot. The wing could then be wheeled over to
the trailer and pinned into the wing dolly in the trailer. The wheeled stand
is then removed and the wing is stowed in the trailer in the manner I
described in my last post.

This was the slickest way of single handing a wing I've ever seen. The guy
that had this was able to single hand a wing for a 2 place glass ship with
ease, easily twice the weight of a Europa wing. I think the stand is
commercially available. The Europa is so sailplane like in the way it sets up
it lends itself well to the gizmo's those guys already have figured out. I'll
see if I can dig up some more info, pic's. etc.

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN
A-245